Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Light and Snow

I linked back to Chert briefly last week; while I don't have the resources right now for any sort of proper exploratory expedition, I figure it's important to keep an eye on the place. After all, if it starts to go unstable, I want to know about it.

It wasn't unstable. It was under several feet of snow.

I didn't stay very long. I wasn't equipped for snow that deep; next time, I'll have to take snowshoes with me if I want to get anywhere. I'm now curious as to why the largely flat roof on the house that we found the last time I was there. Were there heating elements in it? We didn't explore that closely - it's possible that there was some sort of coating on the exterior of the roof that was meant to keep snow off. Or that this was an aberration in the normal weather. But still, several feet of snow was pretty impressive.

The next time I linked down to the Cavern was for the Cavern Choir Holiday Concerts. They went pretty well all things considered, aside from the snow in Delin giving us all numb fingers and toes. GameBoomers let us warm up by their fountain with some hot drinks afterward, and we all talked about the bits we'd gotten wrong and the bits we'd gotten right. A good time was generally had by all.

The last time I went down, I went to the City. From the 'hood scope and balcony, it doesn't look like our pellet-dropping activities have had any effect, but in the City proper, it feels brighter to me. Perhaps that's just because I'm not down there very often - really, I ought to start taking serial photos just to be sure - or perhaps its my new perscription, but I live in hope.

Perhaps the cavern will light on the Winter Solstice. I know that that far underground, the vagaries of heavenly bodies and the axial tilt of the planet really have no bearing on things...but it would be pretty cool, just the same.

No comments: