Sunday, May 13, 2007

Desert morning sunlight...

The Pod Ages really are an exercise in community. A single person exploring those Ages would not have found the Portal quickly. The community of explorers, though, quickly sorted out that yes, there was something strange going on and this is what it was. Information was shared, people helped each other, clever people built clocks...

A solo explorer, without the benefit of all of that, might never have known that there was something odd going on... except that there is a hint in Payiferen.

I find it amusing that I found my last Labyrinth sign in Payiferen, simply because that's how the clocks worked out. I could not get down there at the right point before, and when I did, I almost immediately spotted the hint. I'd spotted part of it before, but not being down there at the right time, it wasn't obvious.

On the floor of Payiferen, there are four stone Labyrinth signs. They appear to be arranged rather randomly, as if they were dropped and left there. Next to them is a window with six impact points on it - four of which are actual holes. People keep saying that they're bullet holes, but to me they look rather more like somebody whacked the window really well with a baseball a few times. They're letting a fair bit of dust and blown-grit in. Two pieces of a puzzle that are very obvious at a certain point of day.

I dug my camera out for this one, because a picture tells a thousand words.

Payiferen at sunrise.

I had a notable fit of "Oh, look at that!" when I came up the ladder, stood up, and looked at the window. I'd just been downstairs looking at the light on the wall - it's strong enough to punch through the lattice of the floor and show downstairs as well - and wondering if it was going to illuminate anything in particular. (And after Tetsonot, let me tell you, it was nice to have natural light and no need for a flashlight!)

In any event, Yeesha seems to have planned for the eventuality that some people just will not talk to other people. Because with a hint like that, you just wait and see what happens...and once you see the floating stones, you know that something must be going on in the other three Pods.

And hey, I got to go swimming in the Sea of Stars again. All in all, a good morning.

No comments: