Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bahro sprites...?

The other day, I was working on cleaning some of the desbris out of our neighborhood Community Room, and I heard the usual Bahro shrill up above me, and I stopped and looked up. I couldn't see them, but it got me thinking...

We're pretty sure they were here in the Cavern before us - maybe even before the D'ni. They've let us come into their home, and if they haven't welcomed us, at least they haven't chased us out either. And when they Screamed and linked everyone out - it seems that something WAS going on in the Cavern to judge from the debris all over the place after the fact. So, they may very well have saved a lot of lives.

In many ways, they're an lot like the house spirits - Brownies from old fairy tales, or domavoy, or other benevolent little household sprites that you never see, but always see the aftereffects of. (I should ask Annacat for more examples - the stories might have clues in them.)

But we don't seem to have thanked them much.

I have no idea of the Bahro like milk (a traditional offering), but if the folks at Cyan had even a secondhand account of what they look like and what their behaviour is like when they made Myst V, they at least eat bugs. They've also got strong sort of beak-like faces, so fruit or nuts might be another good guess...?

I've gotten a couple of flowerpot saucers and put the symbol for "Friend" on it from Myst V, in the vague hope that perhaps this is something else Cyan may have gotten right, and I've taken to leaving them in the high places of our 'hood - up on the balcony, for example. (I got a ladder and put one on the dome over our Book Room too.)

And a couple of days ago, I went to the instance of the City my Kadish Gallery links to and left a couple on the roof of the broken bridge, where I could just reach it. (I didn't want to leave it in the public City, for fear other explorers, or even the DRC might come through and yank it.) I thought about leaving some in the Great Zero, but my link to that seems to have vanished, and anyway, I've never heard a Bahro up there.

I haven't had any luck yet, but I'm hoping that maybe they just haven't figured out what I'm doing. In a couple of weeks, if the dishes are still untouched, I'll try leaving them inside the Journey Doors. I've heard that another explorer is trying the same thing with cookies baked in the shape of Yeesha's Journey symbol - maybe she'll have better luck than me.

As for unrelated news, the DRC have given me back my rope bridge, so another of my favorite perches in the City is back. And I have a really awful case of nerves about the Cavern Choir performance, but that's nothing new. And given that I've found a second Faerie Ring, and this one came up with a crescent inside a square, I guess folks were right about it being a calendar, and the first sigil being a D'ni numeral one. Neat!

No comments: